Our Purpose -
The Elk Rapids Area Historical Society, a non-profit organization, assembles, preserves, protects, and exhibits, in the Elk Rapids Area Historical Museum, collections pertaining to the history of the Chain of Lakes Region, the Village of Elk Rapids, its people, and community life.
The Museum Building -
The Elk Rapids Historical Museum is housed on the lower level of the old Elk Rapids Township Hall, located at 401 River Street . Historical Society volunteers operate and maintain the facility.
Designed by Charles H. Peale and built in 1883 near the site where the earliest white settler, Adam Wadsworth had lived, the old Elk Rapids Township Hall has served as a social and political center for over one hundred-twenty years. Largely due to lumbering and related industries, the village of Elk Rapids was the most important economic force in the area.
Located on Grand Traverse Bay, the prosperous community needed a permanent meeting place. Thus this hall was erected and has hosted theatrical, patriotic, school, and township activities.