
Description [EN]
The building, erected in 1765 as a tenant house for a grand ducal chamber estate, served as the residence of Prince Friedrich Ferdinand Constantin, the younger brother of the reigning Duke Carl August of Saxe-Weimar and Eisenach, from 1776. After converting the tenant house into a small country castle, he, together with his tutor Karl Ludwig von Knebel, developed an English landscape park. Winding paths, initial park architectures, seating areas, and various plantings were created. Following Constantin´s departure from Weimar in 1781, Duchess Anna Amalia moved her summer residence to Tiefurt and gradually continued the park´s design. This included the creation of the Leopold Monument, the cenotaph for the early deceased Constantin, the Mozart Monument, the Herder Stone, as well as Musentempel and a tea salon. During this time, Tiefurt became a center of the arts for the Weimar court society and their guests. A lively social life developed, marked by performances, literary evenings, and even its own small magazine, the "Journal von Tiefurt." With the looting of the castle by French troops in 1806 and the death of Anna Amalia in 1807, silence fell over Tiefurt. It wasn´t until the comprehensive renewal and redesign of the park between 1846 and 1850 by Weimar court gardener Eduard Petzold that Tiefurt regained its original significance. Many of today´s defining tree groups in the park were planted during this time. Since 1998, Tiefurt Castle and Park have been part of the UNESCO World Heritage.
Services
Museumsshop
https://www.museumshop-weimar.de/
Accessibility
Access with ramp
No
Access stairless
No
Access with ramp
No
Elevator with tactile font / announcement
No
Disabled toilet
No
Labeling in pictograms
No
Inscription in braille
No
Acoustically accessible exhibition objects
No
Tactile accessible exhibition objects
No
Barrier-free Audioguides
No